Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Food Resolutions


Hello! I hope every one had a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!

Some things to look forward to in 2013:

- SCIFTS Monthly Dinner Meeting at the White House in Anaheim (1/16)
- SCIFTS Monthly Dinner Meeting at the Alpine Village in Torrance (2/20)
- SCIFTS Suppliers' Night Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center Marriott (3/6)
- Natural Foods Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center (3/8-3/10)
- Mountain West College Bowl at Chapman University (3/9)
- Other super fun awesome stuff planned by the FSNSA

Like a lot of people, the new year has prompted me to think about how I can better myself. In the past I've tried making resolutions but found that I never stick to them or just plain forget about them by the middle of the month. But I'm going to try something different this time. Instead of resolutions, I'll call them habits or challenges so that they'll seem less intimidating and more do able. Here are the food-related habits and challenges I've come up with so far:

1. Buy and cook something new each time I go grocery shopping.
2. Try new cuisines (Ethiopian and Peruvian are at the top of my list).
3. Use up the stuff in the back of my pantry and freezer.
4. Try to make something from scratch (eg. bread, yogurt, butter, pickles...)
5. Understand the Farm Bill and how it affects our food system.

I'll try to keep this blog updated with my progress as a source of motivation, since that tends to be why people give up on their resolutions so easily. Any encouragement or advice is welcome :)