Monday, April 15, 2013

McDouble in America, McArabia in Egypt



Travel destinations? Check. Suitcases? Check. Passport? Check. I have everything I need to leave the U.S., yet I have never stepped foot out of the country before! Just like everyone else, I want to see the Seven Wonders of the World, attempt to speak with people from other countries, and taste exotic foods. However, I also want to try fast-food restaurants in other countries.
I know what you’re thinking. Why would I travel to different countries just to eat at a McDonald’s when I can do that here in the States?
Out of curiosity, I decided to research the international menus of some of America’s most well-known restaurant chains, and I was pleasantly surprised.  The McDonald’s menus from other countries are quite different from ours. While American McDonald’s restaurants sell fried chicken strips and McNuggets, Singapore’s McDonald’s restaurants has fried chicken wings and honey lemon fried drumsticks. Our McDonald’s restaurants boast some tasty desserts, including hot fudge, hot caramel, and strawberry sundaes, and apple pies. In Singapore, sundaes are also on the menu, but taro pies and cinnamon melts are included as well! In Egypt, the McDonald’s restaurants offer “McArabias”, which are basically grilled chicken patties, lettuce, special garlic sauce, tomatoes and onions wrapped in Arabic bread. What’s for dessert? Peach sundaes,  a KitKat McFlurry, or a choco-orange pie.
I also researched Baskin Robbins in various countries. The Baskin Robbins ice cream shops in Japan sell the cutest sundaes-honestly, it would be hard to eat such an adorable dessert!




I also wish that the colorful ice cream float beverages and the ice cream crepes sold in Japan were on the Baskin Robbins menus in America.





Korea’s Baskin Robbins ice cream parlors are equally intriguing.  Their menu includes delectable ice cream rolls, mochi, and chocolate fondue! Korea’s Baskin Robbins definitely won my sweet tooth’s heart.



While I am not suggesting that you should solely eat at American fast-food chain restaurants in other countries, my belief is that you don’t have to feel guilty about walking into a McDonald’s restaurant after touring the pyramids of Egypt. In fact, because the global fast-food restaurants have unique items on the menu that you won’t see in America, I encourage you to give these new foods a try!